‘They took stock of the work that has been done by their respective negotiating teams, and discussions are continuing’
Canada's trade minister and the top American trade negotiator held a fifth round of virtual talks Sunday, described by Dominic LeBlanc's office as "constructive," just three days before a 50% U.S. tariff deadline is set to take effect, according to a report.
LeBlanc, Canada's Trade Minister, and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer held the one-hour virtual meeting, joined by Canada's chief trade negotiator, Janice Charette, according to BNN Bloomberg.
A spokesperson for LeBlanc said the two sides used the session to review recent progress, noting that "they took stock of the work that has been done by their respective negotiating teams, and discussions are continuing," according to the report.
Ahead of the call, LeBlanc spokesperson Gabriel Brunet said the goal was to identify "the work that still lies ahead, as we seek to reach a comprehensive deal that delivers for businesses, workers, farmers and families on both sides of the border."
Divisions remain among officials
Quebec Economy Minister Bernard Drainville said Friday the two sides still appeared far from an agreement, according to BNN Bloomberg.
Erin O'Toole, a member of the prime minister's advisory committee on Canada-U.S. economic relations, said the federal government is preparing a formal response should the tariffs proceed as scheduled Wednesday.
Provincial alcohol bans imposed in 2025 in response to earlier U.S. tariffs have already begun to shift, with Alberta and Saskatchewan reversing course and Ontario Premier Doug Ford saying he would consider following suit as part of a broader deal.
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Sunday in Vancouver he sees "no reason" Prime Minister Mark Carney cannot secure "a great deal on Wednesday," adding that "no more concessions while getting nothing in return. We have to stand up and fight for our country."
Two in five exporters sell products that would be hit by a proposed 50% U.S. tariff, with more than three-quarters of those firms expecting revenue declines, reports the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB).
Despite the pending tariff deadline, companies have largely held off on rushing goods across the border ahead of time, according to Janine Harker, president of the Canadian Society of Customs Brokers.
"For better or for worse, everybody has settled into a process of watchful waiting — and planning to the extent possible, but very much not trying to get too ahead of what actually comes out as the official direction on Aug. 19," she said, according to a previous report from The Canadian Press (CP).
Meanwhile, many in the business community are watching closely to see whether the president follows through on this threat or backs down, as he reportedly has on past tariff pledges — a pattern that has spawned the shorthand TACO, short for "Trump Always Chickens Out."
"We're getting a little bit blasé. Trump never follows through — TACO," said John Corey, who heads the Freight Management Association of Canada, according to CP.
Federal government’s comments
Previously, Prime Minister Mark Carney called the tariff action "the latest in a series of unilateral U.S. trade actions" that violate CUSMA, adding that Canada has made detailed proposals to resolve the dispute and modernize the agreement, and stands ready to intensify discussions in the coming weeks, according to a CBC News report released in July.
Carney had also pledged to defend Canadian workers against tariffs.
Meanwhile, following a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Canada-U.S. Economic Relations last month, Federal Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc underscored that Canada will continue to work closely with provinces, territories, industry and labour to ensure a coordinated "Team Canada" approach, with talks focused on protecting Canada's interests ahead of this week's First Ministers' Meeting in Charlottetown.