Province reviewing policy, says minister, citing 'premature decision'
The Alberta government has paused a recent policy change that would have cut public health‑care coverage for some temporary foreign workers, including youth coming to Canada on working holidays.
The change — introduced quietly on Jan. 7 — would have ended eligibility for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan coverage for some holders of International Experience Canada (IEC) Type 58 work permits. These permits allow people to live, work and travel in Canada for up to two years.
The shift did not receive widespread attention until it was reported by CBC News, after which a government spokesperson confirmed the province was reversing course pending further review.
“Following an initial review, Alberta’s government is pausing implementation of this change to review the policy going forward,” Kyle Warner, with the ministry of primary and preventive health, said in a statement, according to the CP report. He described the original move as a “premature decision” made within the department.
Warner said the government had heard concerns from temporary foreign workers and employers about the end of coverage for workers with IEC Type 58 permits. For HR leaders, the pause reduces immediate uncertainty, but the promised review means benefit eligibility for this segment of the workforce could still change.
A United Nations (UN) official previously said that the TFWP “serves as a breeding ground for contemporary forms of slavery, as it institutionalizes asymmetries of power that favour employers and prevent workers from exercising their rights”.
Recently, Alberta became the first province in Canada to legislate a two‑tier health‑care system and enable private health insurance for medically necessary services — a shift that analysts said could reshape costs and access for employers and workers.
Calls for clarity in Alberta
Tineke van der Merwe, with the Bow Valley Immigration Partnership, said they welcome the decision to halt the eligibility change. “However, we continue to urgently seek clarity,” van der Merwe told CP.
She said stakeholders need a clear timeline for when the review will conclude and guidance on whether those who arrive in Alberta during the review period will be eligible for coverage. This uncertainty complicates hiring and onboarding decisions for employers planning for the upcoming high season.
Van der Merwe noted that over the next eight weeks — as the Bow Valley tourism and hospitality sector prepares for the spring and summer season — employers will be hiring for the busy period. She warned that if potential newcomers choose to come to the mountains but later learn they are not eligible for health coverage or cannot renew their health cards, it could have “a significant negative impact on the local workforce at a key time.”
“[It] is absolutely critical that people are able to find clear, timely public information, and to the best of our knowledge, at the moment that’s not available,” she said.
The town of Jasper, at the northern edge of the Rockies, also depends on workers from elsewhere to support its visitor economy. Mayor Richard Ireland said in a statement that “everything” that affects the well‑being of those workers affects the entire community. “Seasonal and international workers play a crucial role in supporting local businesses and visitor services and contribute positively to community health and vitality,” he said, according to the CP report.
Currently, Alberta separatists are collecting signatures until May 2, 2026, to pressure the United Conservative Party provincial government into calling a referendum on separation from Canada. The Alberta Federation of Labour (AFL) has warned that Alberta’s separation would create severe economic and logistical challenges for workers and the province’s economy.