Exclusive: HC's one-on-one with Nestlé CEO
Nestlé is the world’s largest food and beverage company, with operations in 197 countries and a presence in every nation on the globe.
Trevor Clayton, the CEO of the company’s Oceania operations recently spoke to HC about how he leads 5,500 employees.
Clayton had the following tips for upcoming leaders:
“It’s important that as a leader I can be flexible and understand the nuances and complexities of such a diverse region,” he said.
- Be able to delegate and trust your team to execute the vision and strategy of the business
- Adjust your style to different teams; Clayton’s role covers multiple countries, including New Zealand, Papa New Guinea, Fiji and Pacific Island nations.
- Remove obstacles – it’s important to streamline bureaucracy to encourage innovation and creativity.
“This helps to build engagement and brings us all closer together as a team,” he told HRM. “Don’t be too internally focused.”
- Get out of your office and talk to employees.
“No matter how crazy an idea is, always encourage people to share their ideas, from the factory floor up to senior management,” Clayton said. “Constant improvement is something we should continue to strive for.
“Make sure you deliver in the short-term but spend enough time looking to the future, because this is where leaders can have the greatest impact.”
- Encourage people to think outside the square.