Chief executive maintains that the organisation is still 'investing in new roles' for its forward strategy
Football Australia is laying off more than 20% of its workforce as the organisation expects a "more significant" financial loss than a year ago.
FA chief executive Martin Kugeler did not provide an exact number of employees affected, but The Sydney Morning Herald reported it is fewer than 200 people.
Employees have been made aware of the net reduction, and were called into meetings on Tuesday to learn about the status of their employment.
According to Kugeler, the redundancies were a last resort after the organisation reduced spending on travel, projects, and other external costs.
The layoffs are also part of a restructure that will reshape FA around "growth and innovation," with investment planned in digital products, analytics, fan engagement, and commercial strategy.
"It's not only a reduction, a redundancy. It's also investing in new roles for our forward strategy," Kugeler said as quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald.
'More significant' financial loss
The net reduction at Football Australia comes as the organisation anticipates a "more significant" financial loss compared to last year, with the numbers to be revealed at its annual general meeting next Thursday.
"We are not where we need to be on the financial side," Kugeler said as quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald.
"And that's what we have to address. We have to live with our means. We have to establish an organisation and a structure that will support taking advantage of the opportunities that we have ahead."
The worsening numbers come despite Australia recently co-hosting the FIFA Women's World Cup and after the AFC Women's Asian Cup, which Kugeler said the organisation failed to capitalise on.
"Have we capitalised, as Football Australia, the maximum out of that (women's World Cup) tournament? We'll probably agree on this call that we haven't," the chief executive said as quoted by 9News.
But he noted that the organisation plans to "capitalise better" with the Women's World Cup in Brazil and the Olympics.
"We have got an exciting time ahead of us with the women's World Cup in Brazil, but then also with the [2028] Olympics … obviously the Socceroos this year, our national teams will have exposure on the global stage, and that's where we need to capitalise better than in the past," Kugeler said.
The chief executive also noted that the layoffs will not impact the preparations of the Socceroos for the world cup, as well as the Matildas' upcoming international friendlies.
Negotiations with Soccerroos coach Tony Popovic over a new contract are also still ongoing.
"The discussions are ongoing with his agent," Kugeler said, as quoted by the Herald. "He's obviously focusing on the preparation of the World Cup. We would like Tony Popovic to continue as Socceroos coach. I've got the impression that he would like to continue as Socceroos coach."