Health NZ apologises to union for delayed release of staffing data

Ombudsman calls out Health NZ for unreasonable delay in information release

Health NZ apologises to union for delayed release of staffing data

Health New Zealand has apologised to the New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO) after it was reprimanded by the Ombudsman for the delayed release of its staffing data.

The NZNO said on Wednesday that Danielle Coe, manager of government services at Health NZ, apologised for "any frustration" the delay may have caused the union.

"Health NZ is committed to maintaining constructive and respectful relationships with unions and their delegates," the agency said, as shared by the NZNO in a media release.

"We acknowledge that refusing this request was not appropriate and may have contributed to delays in the important work you are undertaking on behalf of our kaimahi."

Coe added in the letter that it is also "proactively strengthening its processes" to ensure compliance with the Official Information Act, particularly its timeliness and clear communication of decisions on requests.

Paul Goulter, NZNO Chief Executive, welcomed the apology as the right thing to do.

Health NZ's delayed data release

The apology follows a finding by the Ombudsman that Health NZ acted unreasonably in handling the NZNO's request for data on all daily "shifts below Target" for every shift and hospital ward, beginning in January 2024.

The NZNO first requested data from Health NZ in April 2024, but Health NZ was not able to provide the information until the following year.

In New Zealand, agencies must respond to official information requests within 20 working days under the Official Information Act (OIA). In this case, Health NZ was supposed to make a decision on May 28, but it asked the NZNO for an extension to "carry out consultations."

By June 26, Health NZ said it had made a decision on the request and had already collated the majority of the information, but was still finalising it.

August arrived, however, and Health NZ said it was still waiting for information from its business unit. By 12 August 2024, the agency apologised to the union for the delay and refused its request.

Chief Ombudsman John Allen told NZNO "acted unreasonably" in saying that it had made a decision by 26 June, and that the agency should not have refused the request.

"Health New Zealand's decision to extend the timeframe to make and communicate a decision on the request was unreasonable," Allen said in the decision.

Understaffed wards revealed

The data was eventually released a year later and revealed that, from January to November 2024, all wards were understaffed 51% of the time during day shifts.

Wards were also understaffed 35% of the time during evening shifts over the same period, according to Nathalie Jaques, NZNO strategic researcher.

"Our members are telling Te Whatu Ora they are understaffed and overworked. They're saying this is putting patient safety at risk," Jaques said in a statement.

Unaddressed safe staffing is one of the primary reasons why thousands of nurses and health professionals went on strike on Tuesday and Thursday this week.

The strike action involves complete withdrawal of labour at every place in New Zealand where Health NZ provides health care or hospital care services.

The government previously slammed the strike action, warning that it will disrupt more than 13,000 surgeries and appointments.

LATEST NEWS