A new study offers insight into what employees really want from their managers – are you and your team lacking in the same things?
Now, a new survey by TINYhr is offering industry professionals some valuable insight into what workers really want by asking: “If you could change one thing about your manager, what would it be?”
And results have revealed managers seem to have one major weakness…
More than 1,000 employees responded to the study and results show that, most of all, there is some serious room for improvement regarding communication skills.
Somewhat worryingly, three of the top five responses focused on interpersonal skills.
The top five
- Become a better, more open communicator – 15%
- Have the boss quit or retire – 11%
- Improve empathy and people skills – 10%
- Increase raises – 8%
- Become a better collaborator, team leader – 7%
The survey also asked respondents to provide some added information. Some of the comments offered include:
- “More supportive and responsive to all staff”
- “She needs to work on her people skills and needs to learn to listen”
- “I would have my boss improve their communication skills to be more direct and empowering than passive aggressive and emotional.”
“Open communication and transparency are much-desired characteristics of both a manager and a workplace,” it said. “Employees want to know what is expected of them, and want someone to turn to for help and guidance.”