Would you sing “You’re hired” to a candidate who serenaded you? Or maybe take a chance on an applicant who backflips into your office?
Here’s the top 10 exploits that worked and the top 10 that failed.
Top 10 job search stunts that worked
1. Candidate contracted a billboard outside employer’s office.
2. Candidate gave a resume on a chocolate bar.
3. Candidate showed up in a suit with a red T-shirt underneath a white shirt. The red T-shirt had a message - “Hire me, I work hard”.
4. Candidate asked to be interviewed in Spanish to showcase his skills.
5. Candidate crafted the cover letter like an invitation to hire her rather than a request (similar to a wedding invitation).
6. Candidate climbed on a roof the employer was repairing and asked for a job.
7. Candidate performed a musical number on the guitar about why he was the best candidate.
8. Candidate volunteered to help out with making copies when he saw interviewer’s assistant was getting frazzled.
9. Candidate repaired a piece of company’s equipment during the first interview.
10. Candidate sent a message in a bottle.
Top 10 job search stunts that failed
1. Candidate back-flipped into the room.
2. Candidate brought items from interviewer’s online shopping wish list.
3. Candidate sent a fruit basket to interviewer’s home address, which the interviewer had not given her.
4. Candidate did a tarot reading for the interviewer.
5. Candidate dressed as a clown.
6. Candidate sent interviewer some beef stew with a note saying "Eat hearty and hire me J."
7. Candidate placed a timer on interviewer’s desk, started it, and told interviewer he would explain in 3 minutes why he was the perfect candidate.
8. Candidate sent interviewer a lotto ticket.
9. Candidate wore a florescent suit.
10. Candidate sent in a shoe to “get their foot in the door."