Refreshing application letter shakes up Wall Street

• feed
  • Google+
by |

Not a day goes by when bored corporates don’t share an amusing or inflated cover letter or resume – now a simple, to-the-point email has made international headlines.

On Monday, one Wall Street banker received an email from a young applicant hoping to secure a summer internship – yet instead of flicking it straight through to HR or to the junk folder, the banker was struck by the applicants’ refreshing and honest approach. Sending it onto some mates, the email has since gone viral.

It has been reported that people on Wall Street are calling it one of the best cover letters they have ever seen. As the cover letter was sent around to bankers via email, it becomes clear that numerous recipients are touched by the young man’s honestly, and have intentions to hire him.

He acknowledged that it is highly unusual for undergraduates from “average universities” like the one he attends to get internships at such prestigious organisations – but hoped on this occasion they would make an exception.

• MP on 17/01/2013 2:54:03 PM

I'd hire him in a heart beat!

• mrd on 17/01/2013 2:57:24 PM

fantastic. honest, down to earth, direct and without all the bull crap. this person is definitely interested in making a career for themselves. such an approach should be nurtured.

• Diane Mason on 17/01/2013 3:32:23 PM

It is realistic, honest and yet his intentions are clear. He realises what starting at the bottom and working your way up means, rather than having an expectation to receive a high pay with little experience. Yes, when I receive cover letters like this, I would always have a conversation with the person to judge how genuine it is and then likely interview.

• Kat on 17/01/2013 6:31:29 PM

I would absolutely give this young man a call to follow up on wha the has stated in the letter. It is rare to find a young job applicant who doesn't have overinflated ideas of what jobs they will do and their salary expectations bring a smile to the face. Some even think they will be telling their boss how it will work and some actually will be clear that they are above any menial tasks. if he is for real hire him now.

• S.M.M.Rufaie on 17/01/2013 7:06:59 PM

The problem these days is that we are asked to sell ourselves (esp: skills) so that we stand out from our peers, so it is very difficult to actually be honest. Particularly as a graduate with the catch 22 situation it is almost inevitable.
    Truly this is the type of attitude we should be promoting. I remember how difficult it was for me as a graduate to get my foot in the door.
    I hope the person got the internship & wish him the best of luck.

• Heidi Alexandra on 18/01/2013 10:09:18 AM

Communication to a "t", honest, direct and simple.

• Mandy on 21/01/2013 10:03:21 AM

So did he get the internship?

• Sean Reddell, Blaze Unlimited. on 4/02/2013 5:19:34 PM

Fine for an unpaid internship although I wonder if he'd make the cull for anything else? Personally I like the approach but know that in order to 'stand out' for the right reasons, something like this approach may fall on the wrong side of the line all too often.

• BB on 7/06/2013 10:33:10 AM

Hey Sean-

The animals would be made out of CANDY.

Human capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Name (required)