Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Worn out words

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 21 Jun 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Louise Bowers writes that 'management speak' has spiralled out of control and laments the the lack of accountability that accompanies this form of communication.
  • Jonathan Watts | 23 Jun 2011, 04:07 PM Agree 0
    Absolutely fantastic and right on the truth of it all. I am absolutely sick of the trained seal speak that goes on which if you don't use, you are generally rated as a light weight. Give me straight talk with real people - now that's a value proposition!
  • Bronte jackson | 08 Aug 2011, 03:46 PM Agree 0
    Loved this article. I have recently returned to work in Australia from Europe and I have trouble understanding alot of what is said around me. I understand it is English (mymother tongue) - I am used to working in Italian or French - and I understand what the words mean but put together in today's management speak and I feel like I am listening to another language. Doesn't anyone use the Dictionary any more? It seems we are making up meanings as we go along. What is very, very clear to me is that people who use this kind of language are not used to working in diverse or truly multi-cultural work places. They would never "get any one on board" with those kinds of phrases.
  • Bernie Althofer | 09 Aug 2011, 04:19 PM Agree 0
    This reminds me of a story told to me some time ago about two people who went off to a Conference. At the end of the first day, one said to the other "What are you going to say in your paper tomorrow" to which the response was "I don't know, I haven't written it yet". After dinner, the second person used a 'buzz word generator' to 'construct' (write) his paper. The paper was duly presented and was voted as the best paper of the Conference. The first colleague said to the presenter, "What was your paper about?" to which the response was "I have absolutely no idea, I just put the words together". The moral of the story - just because a number of great words are put together, it does not necessarily follow that they have any meaning. Jargon, jingoisms and other ways of confusing people should be consigned to the relevant location. Keep it simple, remember the audience, not everyone wants to reach for a dictionary, and if it is necessary to make up a word, think about why that is so. I guess if we beat around the bush we can baffle others with b.lldust or some other equally eloquent term. Using the big works does not necessarily prove that you know what you are talking about. Loved the white sauce proposition, but how about 'plating up'. I just serve the meal.
Post a reply