Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Workplace romance: Who’s on top?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Nov 2013, 12:03 AM Agree 0
Love affairs in the workplace can be troublesome. This is compounded when it happens to be between an employee and their superior.
  • kevin | 15 Nov 2013, 12:00 PM Agree 0
    Having experienced this first hand (not personally involved) it is extremely toxic on other working relationships and trust. It also causes people to no longer confide in others and wonder if, what was discussed in confidence was disclosed and how far back this may have gone. So people not only wonder about the present but the past.

It can also break down the formal management structure and mess with responsibilities and accountabilities. I understand in the military they will not allow the parties to remain in the same group or division because of the potential damaging affects. Perhaps management should also adopt the military solution.
  • Peter | 18 Nov 2013, 01:39 PM Agree 0
    I have personally been involved in this situation and I have to say it severely affected the team. I was the team leader and my partner was one of the team. The other team members immediately threw up a wall around us and the team ceased to work (as a team). Although we were both single people at the time it became a seriously toxic situation. Senior management (unaware of the situation) promoted me interstate at which time I had to inform them of the relationship. I was advised that the move was open to me but my partner could not work with me although the company would pay for 'our' move if she chose to move with me..
    We took the move and my partner soon found other work but I will never forget the hostility and the effect on the team.
Post a reply