Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Working abroad helps women break through the glass ceiling

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Mar 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
During a week when the world has focused on gender equality, global recruitment agency Hydrogen has proposed one of the most effective ways women can rapidly progress in their career
  • Bronte Jackson | 10 Mar 2011, 06:47 PM Agree 0
    As a senior professional with an MBA and earning well over AUS$100,000 overseas, I have just returned to Australia, fully expecting to be recognised and sought after for my many years of international professional working experience. I have found that I am actually at a disadvantage in the Melbourne market due to my lack of "local experience". I laughed out loud at your observation that Banks seem to be leading the way. They have been particularly rigorous in letting me know that all candidates with equal experience to mine from within Victoria will have the advantage and only if one of them is not appropriate will they look at my CV.

I know it sounds really good, and I assumed too that Australian companies would appreciate the broader perspective but I am not alone in this experience. Returning to Australia usually means that you are at a disadvantage and need to take a step lower than what you were on to get back into the market. Colleagues of mine currently O/s will never return to Australia because of this experience.

I think the report should have looked at whether the o/s experience really does translate into better career prospects, once the candidates returned home. As a senior professional woman returning home I would not recommend women to leave Australia for career advancements.

Post a reply