Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Women workers face “motherhood penalty”

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 Sep 2014, 10:29 AM Agree 0
Taking time off work to have and raise children has a significant impact on women’s lifetime wages, according to research from Diversity Council Australia.
  • caca | 05 Sep 2014, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    Something to take into account is the mother's willingness to get back into the swing of work.
    This wasn't always the case but I have found that in the last 2 instances I've dealt with the mothers were already not keeping their skills up to date and although wanted to keep the level/title/pay that they left on they were unwilling to be responsible for the same work(which in turn would either need to be shifted to someone else and cause an issue or add headcount which in most cases is not granted).
    Flexibility is a great idea and I believe definitely the best path however those returning from maternity leave cannot expect to shift majority of the responsibilities without creating issues and then in turn being seen as no longer 'career minded'. It's a tough balance to keep.
  • Kathy Dodd | 06 Sep 2014, 05:19 AM Agree 0
    This situation is by no means new. I took a job break to have my two children in 1983. I left a highly paid managerial role in communications and took various part time jobs until I returned to full time work in 1991. It took me 4 years to reach my previous salary level as I had to find work in a different industry and different country. I found that changing my career path was the only way to achieve my goals but even then the male salaries proved to be at least $20k more annually in most industries at the manager level. I could write a book about the real discrimination around male/female salaries and careers in Australia. It will not end until women become more assertive around career breaks and salaries and men support this.
  • Jane | 09 Sep 2014, 04:16 PM Agree 0
    Not to mention the lesser superannuation received by the mothers (generalisation) in taking time off work and then more often than not working part time while children are young.......try being a single mum and staring down the barrel of a measly super fund because you are daring to try to juggle being a part time professional at the same time as being a full time mum (which, by the way, I wouldn't change for anything!). I appreciate super is paid on $$ earned, but with females earning less than men generally, and then taking the time off to raise children, the super fund sure does take a beating in comparison to my male equivalents!
  • Kevski | 10 Sep 2014, 02:13 AM Agree 0
    And let's not forget those colleagues that pick up the work that remains whilst these choices are being taken up...
Post a reply