Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Women more likely to be criticised in performance reviews

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 04 Sep 2014, 10:48 AM Agree 0
A survey of employees in technology companies has revealed a worrying trend in which bosses are more likely to criticise women and give men constructive feedback in performance reviews.
  • Louise | 04 Sep 2014, 11:31 AM Agree 0
    This isn't a 'Tech' industry only problem. As a survivor of this double standard, I fight it on a daily basis in performance reviews, training opportunities, promotions (or lack of) and still don't have an answer for it. It is so tiring and trying to have to keep on this battle but what's the alternative?
  • HC | 04 Sep 2014, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    While I know it is in vogue to jump on this type of data and run with it (and as a female I agree there are issues), I would like a little further information to validate this finding. I would like to see the response from the reviewing managers to determine why they used different language; was there a genuine performance/conduct issue with these female employees? Is there a reason for this behaviour in such a male dominated working environment; maybe they needed to speak up to be heard and that resulted in a negative perception. I would also like to see this study conducted across a breadth of male dominated industries to get a fairer idea of the voracity of this finding.
  • NG | 10 Sep 2014, 01:35 PM Agree 0
    I'd be interested in seeing this kind of review conducted in a female dominated environment, and see if there are reverse or similar findings.
  • CM | 11 Sep 2014, 02:47 AM Agree 0
    @NG Based on my experience some of the same things occur in female dominated environments where the focus is similarly on conforming to gender specific stereotypes. By that I mean telling the female that she is too "aggressive" for the culture which is code for "Put on some pearls and do what women do." The article states: "the gender of the manager doing the review did not make a difference to the nature of the feedback." In some instances women tend to enforce gender stereotypes just as much as men. One only need look at professions that are dominated by women, like teaching and social work, but the leadership is majority men.
  • GA | 07 Oct 2014, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    I am glad to see that we are still discussing the reality that women are called "bossy" and "pushy" more frequently than men. I find it sad when this sort of language is used to unfairly label women who may be no more "pushy" than their male counterparts. And yes, often it's women who are the toughest critics of other women in the workplace. Let's keep up this conversation, because language really does matter.
Post a reply