Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Women look their worst at 3:30 on Wednesday arvo

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 06 Feb 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
We all know Wednesday can be hard – it’s the half-way point of the week, but still, the weekend is not quite in sight. Now there’s even more reason to hate hump day.
  • Louise | 06 Feb 2013, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    I do not believe that. It can be any day, just depends on the sleep I had the night before.
  • Lis | 08 Feb 2013, 09:10 AM Agree 0
    I agree this can be any day all depends on how my day in the office turns out,
  • Judy Higgins | 08 Feb 2013, 10:47 AM Agree 0
    What a load of rubbish. Is there a similar article on men? Who wasted the time, effort and money to research such trivial nonsense.
  • Silje Barningham | 14 Feb 2013, 04:08 PM Agree 0
    It saddens me that I have to write to you about this, and I would have thought it was absolutely blatantly obvious that this article has gone to print in the wrong century or it is it a slip up and it should have been printed in the Herald Sun next to a gossip story on a reality TV contender.
    But this is actually an article that has managed to get printed in a reputable HR magazine next to articles on discrimination.
    Firstly I don’t see the relevance. So is the relevance of this that women should not do any client facing roles on a Wednesday from 3:30? What does it matter to the job a women might perform? I fail to see why this even gets airspace in a magazine dedicated to the HR function.
    It is sad that this gets to print, and I had a flash back to a story that I was told when I first started my career in HR by a very successful CEO, that when he started working the hiring managers used to mark the font of the interview notes with BB which stood for big boobs and a other B for blond as additional attributes that the prospective female would bring to the role.
    Is this discriminative is my next question, I don’t know if it can be taken seriously enough to be, it is just dumb. However you might ask yourself as a woman in an environment that deems this as relevant if you are ok to have B’s or ‘does not looking her best after 3:30 on a Wednesday’ marked on the front of your interview record. It raises the question of the credibility and journalistic ability of an industry magazine. Is this really what we should be concerned about, is it relevant and does it reflect a place you as women would enjoy being look at on Wednesday after 3:30 with a the thoughts of your co-workers being that “gosh dear you really look your worst now”, or is there not bigger fish to fry out there?
  • HC Online | 14 Feb 2013, 04:55 PM Agree 0
    Hello Silje,

Thank you for your comments. We take our work seriously here at HC - every once in a while, we publish content that is a little lighter in nature, and intended to be nothing more than that. The vast majority of our readers appreciate the opportunity to read a story which perhaps lightens the tone of their day, and we think this story should be read with a grain of salt.
Post a reply