Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Woman sacked for shoplifting...40 years ago

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 May 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A woman was sacked from her job of five years at a mortgage broking firm after her employer became aware of a 40 year old shoplifting offence.
  • Sympathetic | 11 May 2012, 03:19 PM Agree 0
    I have also had to terminate an employee due to changes to Legislative Criminal History Check requirements over an offence 35 years prior when they were a minor. While I understand the need for some regluation in some industries such as health, banking etc I feel there should be a way to appeal individual cases where exceptional circumstances exist and where they are a valued long term employee and have never re-committed an offence. In this case, I personally did not deem it as an offence once I was made aware of the cirucmstances but still the Legislation gave us no choice...
  • Verify Holdings Australia Pty Ltd | 14 May 2012, 09:32 AM Agree 0
    A crime convicted 40 years ago coming up within a Criminal Record Check in your current role is a harsh way to make judgements and end employment terms. Throughout Australia, the Spent Convictions Scheme takes into account the duration of time since the offence was committed. Verify Holdings Australia provides organisations with an extensive range of services, of which Criminal Records Checks are included. Verify falls under the spent Convictions legislation. Therefore any crimes convicted 10 years ago – given that the individual has not reoffended or has not been sentenced to imprisonment for more than 30 months – will not come up in a National Criminal Record Check.
Post a reply