Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why you hire who you do – and how to do it better

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Aug 2015, 07:45 AM Agree 0
Could it be that you hire people who remind you of yourself? A new study says you do.
  • Ian Hamilton | 27 Aug 2015, 03:00 PM Agree 0
    Comments and research that can lead to improving interview skills are always a good thing. This article does raise an interesting point around cognitive bias that even professional interviewers need to be reminded of at times. The key is to ensure you do actually recruit against a set of skills and specific behaviours that will determine success in the role and the company. Always ask the candidate to explain where they have displayed these skills and behaviours in the past - the greatest predictor of future behaviour is still past behaviour. If you are going to involve others in the interview process, ensure they are looking for the same skills and behaviours you have determined as necessary for success in the role. You do not want your invited interviewers beginning to assess on different skills and behaviours.
  • Kevin Howard | 28 Aug 2015, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    There's no surprises in this, although unconscious bias towards easy/familiar sounding names isn't talked about very much, so it's definitely worth highlighting this. It is likely to occur in the shortlisting process when you have a bunch of candidates who all look good on paper, but there's too many to interview and you need to reduce the number further.

In reality there are so many variables in recruitment it is almost impossible to get it right every time, although there's no doubt some people are much better at interviewing than others. I've worked with companies who have developed extremely sophisticated and thorough recruitment processes, but they still make mistakes.

One of the most important factors is to guard against allowing the heart to rule the head. Lou Ader wrote a great article on this, 15 years ago, titled The Dufus Factor

Personally I try to ignore positive "gut feel", but when it's negative I always take notice and proceed with caution.
Post a reply