Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why we DON’T really want balance - Your chance to win!

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Jul 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Dr Adam Fraser introduces a new concept that may just assist in that elusive search for harmony in work and home life: transitions. Enter the competition for a chance to win a free coaching session or a copy of Dr Fraser's new book, 'The Third Space'.
  • Marie Crozier-Durham | 30 Jul 2012, 03:16 PM Agree 0
    Adam’s Third Space provides insight into an important coping strategy to improve work/life balance. It supports the view that individual agency, self-efficacy, and positive emotions are an important aspect of work-life balance. Individual workers need to be active players in achieving work-life balance suitable to themselves (and different for each person). In my practice I refer to something similar called “proactive border management.’
    However, the research indicates that the ability of personal and family coping strategies to reduce work-life conflict pales in comparison to the effectiveness of actions that can be taken by the organization.

The impact of work/life conflict is circular, in that demanding work situations, high stress, poor coping skills, role conflict, and insufficient time with family and friends undermine work performance. Consequently, the best way to improve work/life balance (improved employee attitudes and performance while enhancing well-being and family and personal satisfaction and relationships) is to create better quality jobs and more supportive workplaces, while keeping job demands and role demands at reasonable level, as well as providing valuable information such as in Adam’s book about personal and family strategies which work for the individual.

Post a reply