Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why HR should stop stretching the truth

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Feb 2015, 08:18 AM Agree 0
Offering false promises to applicants is bad for business, say these HR professionals, who argue that candidates need to hear “the good, the bad, and the ugly.”
  • GJ | 10 Feb 2015, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    Honestly should start even before the job interview. If there's a specific challenge that requires a special kind of person, I think it should be discussed on the phone (or if it's minor, even in the job advert).

And the next step: be respectful of the prospective employee if they choose not to pursue the role based on the information you've given them. Some recruiters have difficulty hiding their, erm...disappointment when someone respectfully declines to take on the "ugly"!
  • caca | 10 Feb 2015, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree with GJ. I am upfront with challenges and encourage hiring managers to focus also on what qualities would really fit the role. If a very strong work ethic is required along with a thick skin then the person looking for part-time work will probably not want that type of role.
  • Catherine Cahill | 10 Feb 2015, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    I was head of HR for an organisation that had a 50% turnover rate in their intake of first year trainees.

We worked in the Event industry and would be inundated with applications for any job - because people were under the misapprehension that the job was "glamorous".

When I advised the Managers directly involved in recruitment to tell the brutal truth - they were convinced no one would want the job.

They agreed to give it a go, and in that year alone we reduced turnover by 32%.

The people who remained in the recruitment process after they were told the truth were the ones we wanted!
  • Bernie Althofer | 11 Feb 2015, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    I have been mentoring students for a number of years and some of these have expressed an interest in policing, customs and similar type organisations.

I have found it is far better to discuss the realities of those jobs, rather than have them form an unrealistic opinion or view about their future employment, if their understanding is based on TV shows.

In my view, potential employees are better off knowing about the cold harsh realities of a workplace, rather than have them go through the whole recruitment, selection and placement process and then leave a short time later because it is not what they thought it would be.
Post a reply