Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why HR leaders need to be more argumentative

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Apr 2014, 11:09 AM Agree 0
HR leaders should be encouraging spirited debate and constructive conflict, according to a leading academic.
  • Brent Williams | 07 Apr 2014, 06:09 PM Agree 0
    I thought "Constructive Conflict" involved getting along. I'm not sure I adhere to the philosophy that leaders should follow historic advice. We want to evolve as a race and as leaders not go backwards.
  • John | 08 Apr 2014, 08:50 AM Agree 0
    Professor Spillane is raising an argument previously raised by Richard Pascalle in his book Managing on the Edge (1990). This book did raise useful ideas to counter group think and constructive engagement.

Professor Spillane's alst 3 paragraphs appear to be quoted out of context, they do not reflect the global position of Australian managers nor current HR practice.
  • Vanessa | 08 Apr 2014, 12:07 PM Agree 0
    Actually, "getting along" seems to be a productive and positive activity; rather than wasting time by making arguments, especially if they are manufactured or unneccessary.
  • Paul | 23 May 2014, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    Dr Spillane is referring to argument as the exploration of different ideas I believe. If the CxO says X and one disagrees, or sees a better way, then debate should be encouraged. I believe this goes with the teachings of deBono and more Drucker. We should be discussing and debating the tough questions that strategically we need to make. Remember General Patton's old saying, "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking". Constructive debate has been lost over the years in Australia so we can all get along and be "mates".
Post a reply