Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why employee relations are hotter than you think

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jan 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Managing poor performance crops up as one of those well-worn HR topics that is bandied around the minute someone starts a sentence with “I have a problem with one of my staff …”
  • Greg | 16 Jan 2012, 03:05 PM Agree 0
    This is soooo true, where has the HR development gone, we need HR to stay ahead of the game and equip our people with the releavnt skills and then have some job/role stability so that they gain some experience to compliment.For HR to demonstrate value we need to be part of the problem solving and not with huffling of the problem from one desk to another, we need to be equipped to add value and then be seen to do that.
  • Peter | 25 Jan 2012, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    Unfortunately HR, in the company I work in, is talked about being important but that is where it stops. Despite the many times endeavours have been made to state the importance of what we do the only times it seems to matter is when there is an issue and the question comes "what do we do now"? Most of the HR work done here is patching up and smoothing over issues that should never have been issues in the first place. I guess that is no news headline to HR practitioners!
  • Robin Pollock | 01 Feb 2012, 09:57 AM Agree 0
    Agree with comments of Greg & Peter. But what about the more common problem of senior management wanting to too quickly 'get rid of the problem' before anyone has actually had opportunity to investigate what might not even be a 'problem'?! HR can coach and make headway with development of first line supervisors/managers etc, but it is the mid to senior managers who are often the problem. They don't get it, don't appear to be interested in getting it and override the initiatives of HR. There are many senior managers out there who are such dinosaurs, this is where the focus for change should be.
Post a reply