Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why are your poor performers poor performers?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Apr 2013, 12:18 AM Agree 0
Most people don’t show up to work to purposely do a bad job – so it’s important for managers to understand the root cause of performance issues.
  • Gregory Evans Evans | 03 Apr 2013, 03:19 PM Agree 0
    Capability and motivation gaps are frequently symptoms of deeper organisational and/or systemic issues.

The article doesn't take account of the fact that performance in the workplace is the sum of many factors. Culture, systems and work design (among others) can conspire to punish good performance, or reward poor performance, in ways that have nothing to do with the worker's capability and interests.

HR is frequently asked to fix performance issues by providing training, when something else (ie not capability deficit) is actually going on.
  • Dr Tim Baker | 03 Apr 2013, 09:02 PM Agree 0
    Greg I agree. Performance is a product of a person's attitude times their capacity times the support the organisation provides that person. In other words, performance is a complex issue.
  • Dawid Gaeseb | 05 Apr 2013, 04:43 AM Agree 0
    poor performance,besides employee attitude and mindset, could be attributed management style, in particular the selective morality of managers. At times, managers choose to work with certain employees only, leaving others feel isolated,and start employing go-slow tactics.
  • Denitza Genova | 05 Apr 2013, 11:09 AM Agree 0
    A very well written article. I don't believe Iain's purpose was to provide an exhaustive overview and analysis of all causes of poor performance. Instead he's focused on what is really critical and will most likely be the single most important performance issue in the near future - the job-person mismatch.
    With the rise of the "Me" culture (Gen Ys), alongside the need to cultivate intraprenuership (simulating entrepreneur-like conditions in big business) and necessity for super-performance we really need to look at the people first before we turn out attention to the supporting systems.
  • Paul Steele | 18 Apr 2013, 06:46 PM Agree 0
    Congratulations, the issue is on teh table and the result is our dialogue and the overwhelming consideration that employee performance, engagement and motivation are complex and multi-layered. I think of lot of it comes back to the original recruitemnt process and non-articulation of expectaions and deliverables being placed squarely on the table, HR needs to step up and be more proactively engaged in getting the strategic needs of the organisation squared away, perhaps easier said than done but this needs to be tackled.
Post a reply