Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Why are there so many women in HR?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 02 May 2006, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Does HR attract women because it’s perceived to be a soft and fluffy profession? Johann Tasker (a man) of UK-based Personnel Today looks for an answer
  • Business Owner | 28 Jul 2011, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    I think there are a lot of women in HR because it isn't a serious, challenging, or intellectually rigorous profession. Women in general don't make good managers and are awful @ math & science. I know. I am a woman who owns a science & technology company. We have an HR consultant, but will never have an HR person because they don't make the company any money and don't add value to anything we do.
  • Senior Banker | 31 Oct 2015, 10:46 PM Agree 0
    Our HR department let us down badly from 1997 to 2009. They kept picking candidates that were the same and we ended up with too many people who were too smart at maths and thus thought they could out smart the market, and our competitors...who made exactly the same mistakes.

When you get too many people that share the same characteristics, you get a projection of that as the dominant culture of the organisation, and that in turn warped HRs understanding of the candidates we needed as they had bought into the negative feedback loop.

We lacked new candidates with real intuition in commercial side of the big picture, common sense and moral courage to question practices. In fact, they were non existent and all we had was a bunch of well educated morons that were into back slapping. HR was skewed in the same way. We had too many woman and none of them were thinking independently. The department was out of balance and didn't show any was a "yes" department where as we needed much more constructive leadership.
Post a reply