Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Who knew teabags and instant coffee was a ‘perk’?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 May 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
We know times are tough, but it seems one state government is taking austerity measures to new heights – or new lows – the humble teabag and instant coffee is on the chopping block.
  • Kirste | 18 May 2012, 02:17 PM Agree 0
    We haven't had tea/coffee/sugar/milk for over a year in Corrective Services. It's not so much the coffee we're worried about as our jobs and promotional opportunities. Back to base jobs for most staff who have worked their way up over the years.
  • Tracy Staines | 21 May 2012, 08:33 AM Agree 0
    This news is a little out of date. Tea and coffee has not been available at most Government departments for a number of years. This was not a Campbell initiative, but I'm sure some of the other points will make a much bigger impact than this.
    The establishment management program is having more of an impact with putting a number of Queenslanders out of work because they are a temporary staff member. Even when that temporary status has been at a long term basis.
  • Michael | 21 May 2012, 10:00 AM Agree 0
    What department has free tea? Lucky you, we've been buying our own tea, coffee and milk for over ten years in my section of NSW DPI. It has it's advantages though, we can choose to upgrade from International Roast!
    BYO tea and coffee for all I say.
  • Maureen | 21 May 2012, 11:34 AM Agree 0
    I remember Australia Post stopped providing tea/coffee milk (especially milk) back in the early '80s. The problems in the office caused by people using someone else's milk was horrendous
  • Bernie Althofer | 21 May 2012, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    The rationale for such decisions may be difficult to understand when it seems that many public and even private sector workers self provide their own tea and coffee, or contribute to social clubs. However, the real target of such cost cutting measures may be in relation to those morning/afternoon teas and lunches that are provided for meetings, training sessions or even committee meetings. Experience suggests that the real decisions and work is undertaken over a cuppa and a sandwich.

In some cases, there may be some costs increasing on a daily basis that go unnoticed for many reasons. For example, if any organisation identified a workplace relations issue that was costing somewhere between $1600 and $4900 per person per year (subject to costing methodologies), then no doubt some remedial actions would be implemented. However, if the costing methodologies were such that an unclear picture was being presented and organisational and even public perceptions were such that the workplace relations issues lead individuals to believe the costs were significantly lower, then it might not even rate the same attention as the cost of a cuppa.

Whilst there may be productivity related issues for an against the cuppa, the same might be used in relation to those who have a preference to lighting up.

Purchasing controls that exist across the public and private sector generally ensure that decisions regarding the provision of 'refreshments' for workplace meetings and training are well considered. People have changed their eating habits over the years and it would be extremely rare to see an excess of food being provided.
Post a reply