Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

When to fire a star-employee who’s lost their spark

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Jun 2015, 08:04 AM Agree 0
They used to excel on every front but now it seems like they’re always letting you down – is it time to fire them?
  • Linda Pettersson | 03 Jun 2015, 11:12 AM Agree 0
    This article doesn't include what I would regard as the actions that any responsible HR professional would take and that is to find out precisely what the performance issues are that appear to indicate that the employee has 'lost their spark' and then speak to the employee concerned to find out what is going on. There could be many factors - bullying by the manager, personal issues affecting the employee, a change of direction for the work unit which has not been well communicated, poor managerial support for the employee concerned and so on. The first step should not be firing the employee.
  • Laura | 03 Jun 2015, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    If you read through to the end, it has that disclaimer in the final paragraph.
  • caca | 03 Jun 2015, 05:20 PM Agree 0
    Although this is only an excerpt of the article my impression (as both an HR professional and an employee) was essentially when the employee's energy to go above and beyond has been used up you get rid of them. This is not an appropriate title to an HR focused article.
    I wouldnt want any of my employees to read this in an HR journal and that should even be close to our first thought when someone who was a star previously has lost some of that drive. That's what we are actually there for, to find the cause and support the manager and employee to get back to where they were previously or if that was not sustainable (which could be they can no longer be a 'star') then to a satisfactory level meeting the needs of the role and business.
  • Seamus | 10 Jun 2015, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    I agree with both Linda and Caca. I would have thought the obvious thing to do would be to investigate the reason for the drop in performance before considering any other steps. The outcome from this investigation would then dictate the next steps to take. Firing the employee should be the last resort and only after carrying out a full investigation and providing support.
Post a reply