Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

When a volcano meets a tornado: GFC wrecking ball collides with Gen Y

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 04 Aug 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Alarming results from two recent surveys reveal erosion of motivation and a loss of mental toughness has fully spawned in the workplace with Gen Y females the worst affected.

• Stuart | 06 Aug 2010, 08:41 AM Agree 0
    I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of the constant pandering to Gen Y that seems to dominate discussions relating to the attraction and retention of talent. Whilst the recent GFC has had a dramatic affects on peoples’ lives and employment trends; it has also provided this generation a valuable dose of reality. I recently heard the GFC described as Gen Y’s ANZAC Cove; how true!
    The majority of individuals who have survived the organisational realignments initiated by the GFC will generally be those most valued by their current or new employers. They will be people with talent, resilience and a team focused work ethic that delivers results. The GFC proves that Charles Darwin’s theory is valid.
    My message to Gen Y is “harden up” the world owes you nothing, learn from this event and re-align your self-centred, instant gratification values. Remember we have an ageing population and employers will soon realise there is a large number of older candidates with years of experience, knowledge and expertise who are not as “high maintenance” as Gen Y. As a result of the GFC and poor Superannuation returns, this generation will need to keep working!
  • Connie Hevron | 09 Aug 2010, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    Maybe it might be a little bit more helpful to look beyond the lables which clearly trigger all sorts of judgements which aren't necessarily helpful. We're talking about younger people in organisations and also females who have something positive to bring to the workplace for everyone - if supported.

Experience and resilience don't come over night to any of us and we're not all born tough. Organisation structures, poor communication, panic and game playing don't produce the best results for male or female but let's not kid ourselves about the stress that many people are feeling in the workplace. It stikes me that if there were more females embedded in key positions of influence in organisations then the skills of communication, teamwork and providing flexibility would be more readily available to organisations and the ttype of stress we see wouldn't exist. Please note that this comment comes from supporting the benefits of balance not from a gender or age preference platform.
Post a reply