Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What to do when a CEO gets diagnosed with cancer

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Feb 2016, 07:00 AM Agree 0
When a senior leader falls sick, the highly-personal problem can shake company confidence and undermine morale – what should HR do?
  • Catherine Cahill, Worksense Solutions | 18 Feb 2016, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    Check4Cancer is an organisation that provides cancer screening to corporate clients. It would seem this article is an advertisement for their services (although this was not clearly disclosed); and not professional HR advice on the best options for managing this situation in an organisation.

There are many things an organisation may consider to assist, but the very first consideration would be the wishes of the individual living with the diagnosis.

Assuming a public announcement is appropriate or necessary would be very poor practice and very insensitive.

In my experience as an HR professional, employees are much more likely to want information and support on Leave arrangements, Flexible Working arrangements and EAP.
  • | 18 Feb 2016, 02:28 PM Agree 0
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago with an aggressive cancer. My HR leadership role was a relatively new one. I have been given an enormous amount of support from my immediate manager and from the director, both of whom have allowed me time to grieve, to regroup and to plan fir contingency. I am very lucky.
Post a reply