Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What is 'unreasonable' management action?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Sep 2016, 09:30 AM Agree 0
If management steps in to deal with workplace issues, at what point does this cross the line into bullying behaviour?
  • | 14 Sep 2016, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    when you are getting bullied by your manager it is hard to make a claim, I have and still am being bullied I have been told I dont speak properly, I'm to friendly, I'm not allowed to talk to other managers, I get dirty looks every time some one comes into my office and I get excluded from information, that is just a small part in whats happening.
    I have raised this with a couple of senior managers and both times I have raised the issues nothing has been done.
    the sad thing is I'm the HR manager for the company, now they are accusing me of giving confidential information out to a meeting I was not involved in.
    I got a disciplinary letter which i responded to but they dont believe me and I have to go to a meeting what do you do in these cases!!!!!!!
  • RM | 14 Sep 2016, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    It is very hard to prove bulling as happens. You are asked to a closed door room with a bulling manager and s/he does and tells whatever s/he wants and all sort of bully and then you are out of the room devastated. Any witness? how can you raise it? You are not allowed by law to record the conversation. You have to ask for consent first so how on the earth a person who is going to bully you would agree to record? no way!

I asked for HR rep to be presented in the one-on-one meetings; it was agreed as it was my right to ask for HR rep. But it did not help either as the bulling person behaviour completely changed as now there was a witness! No brainer! So after a couple of meetings, HR mentioned they do not need to be in the meetings anymore as the manager behaviour is fine!

I think the only way to resolve the bulling issue is to change the law to allow recording of the meetings (or specific meetings) without consent. if somebody is doing all right why they should be concerned or afraid of being recorded?
  • srg | 16 Sep 2016, 06:49 AM Agree 0
    I too am a HR Manager experiencing similar treatment from management. I am now subjected to an investigation that is protracted and not transparent. I have taken extensive file notes to which is my sole form of evidence. I have done nothing wrong and will stand firm. You should maintain your professionalism and seek external support as I have done.
Post a reply