Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What if your candidate is 6 months pregnant?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 31 Jan 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The media storm and applause heaped upon Yahoo following its decision to hire a pregnant CEO last year ignited the discussion around pregnant candidates, discrimination and what to do when faced with the hiring decision.
  • TS | 31 Jan 2013, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    Peter Holland lives in a fantasy academic world - 20 weeks off!!! In my experience it is 52-104 weeks off normally. If someone said at interview that they can take the job but will need to provide four weeks notice to their current employer, and will then only be around for four week before going on a minimum 52 weeks leave to travel the globe, would it be a good business choice to hire them?
  • Sebastian Harvey | 04 Feb 2013, 10:11 AM Agree 0
    Dear TS - you are making exactly the assumptions that lead to unfair (and therefore unlawful) decisions. 'In my experience' is at best anecdotal and at worst selective stereotyping. New parents (both men and women) have the capacity to balance career and parenting. They need to be given the opportunity to make their case for commitment and ability to meet the expectations of the employer in the same way as anyone else. Sounds to me like Marissa Mayer did a better job at this than the other candidates.
Post a reply