Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Wary of ‘job-hoppers’? Fear no more

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Feb 2014, 07:32 AM Agree 0
Having a series of short tenures at companies may seem like a red flag, but it turns out those applicants are just as likely to stick around.
  • Tim | 27 Feb 2014, 02:27 PM Agree 0
    I disagree. I have worked in the recruitment and HR industry for roughly 20 years and in my experience past performance is overwhelmingly linked to future performance when it comes to tenure.
  • Lorrae | 28 Feb 2014, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    Tim, I think that is a short sighted view. It all depends on the reasons behind the short tenure. Sometimes people do just 'job hop' but sometimes its beyond their control. I work in HR and Recruitment. I've been on the "other side". I've been in positions that have been made redundant 3 times in 8 years. Twice it was during massive downturns [ GFC and Mining bust Qld]. It was extrmely difficult to find a new position, let alone one that was suitable. I spent a couple of years doing short term contracts. Does this look great on my CV? No it doesn't. Is it a predictor of my likelihood to stay in a position - not at all. I know that it was used against me in many job applications. I'm now in my "dream job", have been here 8 months with no intention of going anywhere.
  • Ann-Marie | 04 Mar 2014, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    It is interesting that the data is collected from call centre agents. After working in this industry for many years, very few FULL TIME agents made it to a 5 year anniversary, I can only recall two people, so I am wondering how much of this is influenced by industry. Personally when I am screening resumes, significant job hopping does put me off.
Post a reply