Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Values at work - Walking the talk

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Apr 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Dick McCann argues that if an organisation's values don't align with an individual's values then happiness and contentment at work will be affected and this will impact the bottom line
  • Peter | 13 May 2010, 10:07 AM Agree 0
    I was struck by your comments about the Individualism-Collectivism paradox. I manage a sales team who are ambitious and keen to get ahead in their careers. A couple of incidents have come up where we’ve lost out on business because of ‘patch-protection’ and not sharing information. What are some things I can do to foster a more collaborative culture? Peter
  • Julie Pigdon | 13 May 2010, 12:37 PM Agree 0
    Hi Peter,

Good question and always a challenge. And it really depends on why there is not a collaborative culture at present. Reason for this may include the predominance of an individualistic culture, but this in itself may be the result of your:

• Recruitment and selection procedures - what type of people do you recruit into your sales function?
    • Induction procedure – what do people expect to be the standards and norms of behavior in your organization?
    • Sales training – are people encourages to be mutually supportive for the good of all?
    • Salary and bonus structures – do you want people to act as a team but reward them for individual performance?
    • Leadership example – what values and behaviours are the leadership team exhibiting?

among other things.

There is no quick fix. However if you would like to explore it further, I would suggest that psychometric testing could definitely help. Self knowledge is a very powerful thing, on an individual, team and organizational level. And the more you know about yourself, the more you know about others.

Julie Pigdon
    Team Management Systems

Post a reply