Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Values are not so passé

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jan 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Often misunderstood and underestimated, values are preferences and priorities that reflect what’s most important to an individual. Adrianna Loveday outlines why values never went out of vogue.
  • Steve Riddle | 18 Jan 2013, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    Adrianna,

This is a wonderful article that accurately summarises the importance of aligning personal values to those of the hiring business during the recruitment process and beyond. I have spent may years working for large corporates and espoused the importance of values in many ways. Most recently values assessments and the link to leadership development have formed a core part of my consulting and development businesses. The following two links will add value in extending the discussion:

http://coachstation.com.au/coaching-training-development/personal-values-assessments/

http://coachstation.com.au/personal-values-one-view/

Thank you again for your insightful article.

Steve Riddle
    CoachStation
  • Peter Jenkins | 18 Jan 2013, 04:34 PM Agree 0
    Adrianna,
    Excellent article on importance of Values. CEO' s and Executives who can grasp their importance and who through their leadership , embed ,champion and reward employees who deliver the values within the workplace will most definitely gain a competitive edge over all competitors.

Peter Jenkins

• Dr David Potter www.culturalchange.co.uk | 20 Jan 2013, 07:52 PM Agree 0
    For me Values are every thing. They are the cultural drivers that influence all key decisions that are made in an organization. Values are not some passing management fad, they are intrinsic elements of cultural dynamics rooted in shared assumptions and they produce the cultural themes that snare managers in an iron grip of expressive control. It is something to behold when a management team ignores the importance of their value system and how it impacts. Yet this condition appears common place. I came across a member who is a Corporate Anthropologist and I thought we need more anthropologically trained OD consultants in organizations who have well worked out theories of organizational culture. This inclusion would help managers leading change understand the importance of value systems and cultural expression and thus organizational style and effectiveness.
  • Rose Marty | 16 Apr 2013, 02:29 AM Agree 0
    Hello Adriana, i'm interested on coming up with cool and innovative ideas on how to articulate and communicate vision, mission and values in a distribution centre of 700 employees. Do you have any ideas you can share?
    Thanks a lot!
Post a reply