Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Unpredictable work hours take their toll

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 04 Dec 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
What matters more to an employee’s wellbeing – the number of hours worked, or how they are worked? The results may surprise you.
  • Claudia Pitts | 04 Dec 2012, 12:02 PM Agree 0
    I'm a PhD student at the University of Sydney, with the Ageing Work and Health Research Unit. My PhD looks at a similar issue for older workers. My thesis (and several other publications from researchers in our group) found that irregularity of hours was important - but perhaps more important was whether you had control over the irregularity. That is, irregular hours aren't that bad if the worker can say when they start and finish, but they can be quite detrimental to wellbeing (especially work-life conflict) if the worker has no control.
    Great to hear these issues are being considered!
  • mrd | 04 Dec 2012, 12:15 PM Agree 0
    I am in a leadership role in the hospitality industry and it is challenging to find a happy medium between rostering fro the needs of the business to those of the staff. This is where the irregularity of the work hours come into being. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how this could be overcome.
Post a reply