Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Unofficial staff party shutdown by police

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Dec 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Criminal activity and trespassing aside, this is one end of year party that had all the trappings of a night to go down in history.
  • Will | 14 Dec 2012, 02:56 PM Agree 0
    Oh, c'mon..! Where's the "procedural fairness" being afforded to this guy...??? Surely some lawyer will pick up on the owner's comment and argue that he wasn't afforded an opportunity to explain his/her reasons to open the store and hold a party there....
  • Tony | 14 Dec 2012, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    Will,
    Yes, the argument will be that the employer failed to have a clear policy in place which prohibitis non-approved parties on its premises out of hours and that the consequences of such behaviour should have been specified in the disciplinary policy. Indeed, these employees may also have a stress claim for being put in such a position!
  • Sean | 15 Dec 2012, 01:00 AM Agree 0
    Procedural fairness??? Are you kidding? What reason would be acceptable in your opinion Will?
  • Realist | 17 Dec 2012, 10:21 AM Agree 0
    The proof is in the pudding Will...

Dimmeys doesn't sound like the big dept store chains that can afford procedural fairness in such circumstances!

Seems as though the so called "employees" have intentional done this in spite of the owner/manager at the store.
  • Heidi | 29 Dec 2012, 07:13 PM Agree 0
    I agree Sean, My question is when do people have to take responsibility for their own actions. If these employees expect their employer to follow the letter of the law. Where was the 'procedural fairness' for want of another term - when these past and current employees were planning this without reference to the owner. And wouldn't you think that if they had damaged stock and premises - they would all be expecting something more than a quiet chat.
Post a reply