Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Unmanaged mental health leaves Aussie companies exposed

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 May 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A leading expert has called for action on the annual $6.5bn spend which is lost due to employers not recognising the signs of mental illness amongst employees and providing early intervention and support.
  • Brett Butler | 14 May 2013, 04:58 PM Agree 0
    Most companies would contract an EAP provider. I would encourage readers to connect with your EAP provider and engage them to assist in demystifying the process of having a conversation with a counsellor. I have been with an EAP Provider for 10 years (PPC Worldwide) and know those client organisations that do this well have more open conversations with their people around mental health issues.
  • SDM | 15 May 2013, 06:53 PM Agree 0
    This is a really tough one. Where does the role of an employer start/stop? I say this because I work in HR & luckily I have a psych degree & am generally pretty good at identifying the issues but what I am not is a medical professional & I can tell you that neither are any of the people managers within the organisation. Yes, we are responsible for people's safety & welfare but if you go to work with a physical illness you still have to be able to perform the inherent requirements of your role in order to keep your job. The same applies to mental illness but that's much harder to measure. At a basic level, it's not always easy to identify to begin with. The recommendations above are great, don't get me wrong. I just don't think they deal with the issues that play out in the workplace. Ultimately, everyone looses out - the individual, the team and the organisation.
Post a reply