Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Unlimited leave – the answer to increasing productivity?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Aug 2013, 12:03 AM Agree 0
Although regulated leave policies are the norm in most workplaces, the trend of unlimited days off is starting to gain traction.
  • Graeme Creed | 07 Aug 2013, 03:12 PM Agree 0
    How do you account for this (accrued leave) and I am guessing there is no unused leave paid on termination.
  • kevin | 07 Aug 2013, 03:15 PM Agree 0
    I have long been an advocate for paying employees for their sick leave by incorporating it into their salary and then if they have time off, it is without pay. Whilst the unions are happy to have a position for purchased annual leave with the employer playing the role of banker, they have major objections to incorporating SL into salary. Again, what has been won can never be traded. Don't hold your breath going forward in Australian.
  • Helen | 07 Aug 2013, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    It is important in considering this initiative to understand whether in the USA context the unlimited vacation leave is actually unpaid leave.
  • Cameron | 07 Aug 2013, 03:45 PM Agree 0
    Some very good points raised in the comments. One thing I noticed in investigating this article is that the terms of "unlimited leave" vary dramatically between organisations.

As I state in the article, some organisations have, literally, no policy - others simple relax them a great deal.

An excellent point about considering whether in the US, the nature of leave being different to here, that an unlimited leave policy (or lack thereof) may not by synonymous with how it would manifest here.
  • IN | 07 Aug 2013, 04:28 PM Agree 0
    Our organisation went to a version of unlimited sick/personal leave a few years ago and the number of sick days increased substantially - to the point where it became unmanageable and the policy had to be reverted to the normal employment conditions. I can see both pros and cons but I'm not sure that this is the answer to increased productivity
  • Louise | 07 Aug 2013, 04:43 PM Agree 0
    As flagged by Helen, all through reading this I was thinking this concept would only work where the leave is unpaid - it would create very unfair system otherwise - those with a lighter workload, or who could easily get a replacement, could potentially have more time off. If it was unpaid, there would be less incentive to abuse the system. Important to remember the US has a very different IR system to Australia - employers here would be much more restricted in trying to implement this. Interesting concept though.
Post a reply