Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Understanding English Language Requirements for sponsored visas

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Oct 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Many Australian employers will need to hire foreign workers at some point, and understanding the rules around visas is vital. The English language skills requirements can be particularly confusing, and can lead to delays in recruitment and visa preparation. The information below explains these language requirements and the issues for some of the more commonly sponsored visas.
  • Kym McInerney, Quantumpeople | 18 Oct 2011, 10:21 AM Agree 0
    I have been running workshops in Malaysia for the past 12 months with a range of degree qualified and 10+ years experienced PR granted Malaysians who aspire to migrate to Oz. The key issue those I work with must understand is that the Australian employers demand a very high level of English proficiency and this precludes many from successfully gaining employment, regardless of their experience in the much publicised areas of skills shortage occupations, particularly engineering. From my perspective, a high EILTS score still amounts to a fair gap in what the employers require vs how the candidates perform, hence my constant pushing for migrants to subscribe to local media and social media to better assimilate between the verbal expressions and grammar. It is a challenge compounded by a seeming lack of initiative to better understand the local standards, rules etc. However, I am hopeful that our skills shortage growth and the availability of well qualified candidates to fill those roles will soon outweigh the reticence to employ these enthusiastic and committed Malaysian migrants.
Post a reply