Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

“Treat people who don’t get jobs as well as people who do” – Richard Branson

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 May 2015, 07:53 AM Agree 0
The eccentric entrepreneur issued some sage advice to employers, sharing a personal anecdote to prove its worth.
  • John | 07 May 2015, 11:51 AM Agree 0
    How true. All part of managing an organisation's reputation. Doesn't Virgin do it well!
  • Lisa | 07 May 2015, 01:19 PM Agree 0
    Virgin won the recent Ranstadt award for most attractive employer. No surprises why. Time after time Sir Richard Branson nails it in terms of his people.
  • NotLikeAVirgin | 07 May 2015, 02:39 PM Agree 0
    If Richard Branson's companies treated their customers respectfully, I wouldn't be shaking my head right now after reading that tale.

I booked a flight with Virgin Australia and paid 12 weeks in advance. 6 weeks later, Virgin cancelled the flight. They offered me alternative flights which do not fit my schedule. I asked for my money back and they say no, under no circumstances will they refund my money. I have to choose another flight. They say they won't charge me a rebooking fee. Is that supposed to be a joke? THEY cancelled the flight! But they don't have any other flight that fit my schedule. I have had to buy a ticket with Qantas.

So I contacted a Virgin Australia supervisor, who got back to me with a special offer. Virgin will refund my $155 fares, if I pay an $80 administration fee. Huh? They fine ME because THEY cancelled my flight!

Virgin Australia's policy is contrary to Australian consumer law. To get my money back, I have to go through a whole process. I'll go through that process, but for each hour of my time I have to work to overcome this travesty, my admiration for Richard Branson's empire reverses towards disdain.
  • Speak Up | 08 May 2015, 01:55 PM Agree 0
    I have empathy for 'not like virgin' but suggest that another more direct approach could have had a far better outcome. Several years ago I had a not dissimilar story with another airline. So incensed was I with outcome I got name, contact details of CEO and sent an email with details and a spreadsheet I put together related to my sorry saga. That same afternoon I had a call - got my full refund and they couldn't have done more to appease my wrath!
Post a reply