Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Transgender employees: legal tips to navigate a HR minefield

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Apr 2014, 10:34 AM Agree 0
Following the recent “Norrie ruling” in the High Court, NSW employees now have the legal right to be recognised as being neither male nor female. Would you know what to do if one of your employees changed genders?
  • Tony | 16 Apr 2014, 12:00 PM Agree 0
    The bathroom issue is simple: they should be able to use the bathroom of their affirmed gender. However this can cause other employees discomfort so employers need to ensure there is early and considered training, support and careful communication with the immediate work group. If someone transitions at work, their transition can be a lot easier if it's supported in this way, so that others understand the issues before the 'bathroom' converstation even pops up. The Gender Centre in Sydney, and other similar groups in Victoria and other states, can advise employers on supporting workplace transitions, as can Pride In Diversity.
  • Val | 16 Apr 2014, 02:40 PM Agree 0
    This is good news however I understand that the ATO still requires you to tick the M or F box (and it has to be your physical gender) to get a tax file number. If however you have a passport which shows your preferred gender that's OK. I hope this changes. I fail to see how what gender you identify with impacts upon income tax. ATO - I think it's time to get with the times!
  • Dr Tracei O'Keefe (Sexologist) | 16 Apr 2014, 09:42 PM Agree 0

All government departments and any other bodies will be required to comply with the Norrie rulling and provide a none male or female option "sex (non specfic)". If not they will be breach of the Sex Discrmination Act that protects all sex and/or gender diverse people :)
Post a reply