Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Too much big data, not enough heart?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 12 Aug 2014, 10:21 AM Agree 0
Is HR swinging too much towards the data-driven practices of finance and operations? One researcher worries HR is losing its connection to the people.
  • Catherine Cahill | 12 Aug 2014, 11:34 AM Agree 0
    Agree 100%. HR professionals are constantly being bombarded by number crunchers who insist we behave the same way they do. Time which should be spent engaging with the workforce is spent producing reports. I know of a number of organisations who have now prohibited their HR staff from even engaging with a staff member unless that staff member "logs" their "issue" on line first - and the time it takes to "resolve is "tracked". And guess what? The staff stop asking for help. Then they leave. Or they disengage. We must put the People back into Human Resources. There is a good reason why Accountants work with numbers. There is an equally good reason why great HR leaders work with real people.
  • Louise Cotterill | 12 Aug 2014, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    Could not agree more with the above article & comment. It seems more & more finance people are seeing HR as an easy ticket to earning higher dollars yet are woefully underskilled to lead HR functions. This leads to client groups seeing HR as irrelevant in assisting to resolve issues. I know one organisation celebrating the removal of employee inductions because this saves on HR resources and because the HR staff with finance backgrounds are uncomfortable with direct people contact.
  • David D'Souza | 14 Aug 2014, 04:49 PM Agree 0
    We are struggling with an identity crisis centred around whether we are supposed to be modern day number crunchers using a combination of predictive analytics and nudges to control an environment - or whether we are the guardians of autonomy in the workplace. I struggle to see how we can be both.
Post a reply