Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Too beautiful to work

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 May 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A British woman has been unemployed for two years, allegedly because her beauty made working “very difficult”.
  • Tara | 24 May 2013, 03:38 PM Agree 0
    If Victoria Secret Models can work or most Hollywood actresses can work, then I think Laura can work also despite her self-presumed good looks. Embrace the attention I say and get on with work!
  • SDM | 24 May 2013, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    In my experience in working with people, those who claim their problems are a result of everyone & everything else are generally the problem. I suspect her issue is not her good looks... rather her narcissims &/or personality in general.
  • Sylvia | 24 May 2013, 03:50 PM Agree 0
    Ah, the curse of being good-looking plus having wealthy parents to maintain you! What a huge problem this must be for poor Laura in a world where people are being constantly killed in horrible crimes or in terrorist attacks, and where millions would give anything to have decent food to eat and clean water to drink.

I think Laura needs a reality check and develop some sort of gratitude for her good luck. As for HC, can't you find anything better to report on?

• Bree | 24 May 2013, 03:53 PM Agree 0
    Sounds like someone has some serious tickets on themselves....I wonder if she has a superiority complex? Seriously, Fernee, get over yourself and get a job. Unless Mummy and Daddy are happy supporting you, in which case, grab a cocktail, head out to the sunlounge by the pool, and party until you find yourself a rich husband.
  • L | 24 May 2013, 04:04 PM Agree 0
    Seriously...?!!!
  • Mel | 24 May 2013, 04:12 PM Agree 0

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Derek Zoolander

Could be time for some serious introspection.

• Al | 24 May 2013, 04:19 PM Agree 0
    Mel - Love the Zoolander quote
    Sylvia - Every Friday HC sends us the friday fun/lighter side articles to give us hard working HR folk a chance to laugh at the end of the week. I think this topic fits that category nicely
  • Judy | 24 May 2013, 04:28 PM Agree 0
    Just googled the lady. Attractive yes definitely ... really, really attractive - wouldn't think to the extent that it prevented her from working though. For me the question is how did something like this reach the media's attention. Can we assume Fernee herself?
  • Tara | 24 May 2013, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    Mel, love your Zoolander comment. Reminds me of one of the other great quotes from that movie;

"Well I guess it all started the first time I went through the second grade. I caught my reflection in a spoon while I was eating my cereal, and I remember thinking "wow, you're ridiculously good looking, maybe you could do that for a career."

Matilda: Do what for a career?

Derek Zoolander: Be professionally good looking.

Perhaps Laura can be professionally good looking. Her images on google are also not quite what I expected.

Get out of your head Laura,.....Sylvia is right that there are many more awful things going on in the world right now.
  • Chris | 28 May 2013, 06:36 PM Agree 0
    Maybe a visit to a struggling third world country might ajust this girls attitude and put life into perspective.
  • Michelle | 21 Jun 2013, 02:16 PM Agree 0
    I agree, don't necessarily think it is her good looks, rather her attitude and personality her co-workers had trouble dealing with. I do tend to agree though that women can often assume good looking women could not possibly also be intelligent. This is usually an attitude from not very attractive women who often assume 'well, at least I was given brains'. Regardless, better watch out for the skin deep...
  • Angela Brown | 03 Jul 2013, 04:33 PM Agree 0
    If I was good looking I wouldn't been working in a average day to day job, maybe she is working in the wrong profession.
Post a reply