Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Time to rethink volunteering: SEEK

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Dec 2013, 02:00 PM Agree 0
With the majority of Australians having no time to spare, charities in need of volunteers are struggling. Is 2014 the year to rethink volunteering?
  • John Mason | 10 Dec 2013, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Having done volunteering work for two Charities in the past twelve years. I did enjoy it. Their are a number of people in Australia who are between the ages of 40 and 65 who are unemployed. Volunteering does not solve their problem at all I was also on a special committee at State level looking at ways to get younger people to volunteer. I have been in the situation where a lot of people resent this thinking. I myself did work experience for twelve months and now have to do another twelve months. My first attempt I did learn new skills but I started to resent it as the employer hired two people paying jobs. I was overlooked and yet I had to show these employees certain aspects of their jobs. Volunteering does not help in the long run for a person who has been unemployed.
Post a reply