HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The three toughest work conversations

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jul 2014, 11:07 AM Agree 0
As HR professionals, we have to have difficult conversations from time to time – particularly with employees. HC looks at how to handle the toughest topics.
  • David | 24 Jul 2014, 01:59 PM Agree 0
    We've had complaints about your body odour...
  • Sarah | 25 Jul 2014, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    I agree David - Body odour conversations are up there as one of the hardest as it's impossible for the person to not take it personally.
  • Delia | 25 Jul 2014, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    Yes, agree with both David and Sarah. This is surely the most delicate situation of all. When an HR manager spoke in such circumstances, the employee was very highly offended; and accused the manager of being "mad" and even racist.

The manager had posed the issue as a question, asking if the woman used deodorant.

And we once had an older person, who would pass wind perpetually as he walked along; I am sure he wasn't aware that he did so, or just didn't care.

In that situation, everyone just put up with it - because what would that conversation have been? (Totally embarrassing?)
Post a reply