Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The three toughest work conversations

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jul 2014, 11:07 AM Agree 0
As HR professionals, we have to have difficult conversations from time to time – particularly with employees. HC looks at how to handle the toughest topics.
  • David | 24 Jul 2014, 01:59 PM Agree 0
    We've had complaints about your body odour...
  • Sarah | 25 Jul 2014, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    I agree David - Body odour conversations are up there as one of the hardest as it's impossible for the person to not take it personally.
  • Delia | 25 Jul 2014, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    Yes, agree with both David and Sarah. This is surely the most delicate situation of all. When an HR manager spoke in such circumstances, the employee was very highly offended; and accused the manager of being "mad" and even racist.

The manager had posed the issue as a question, asking if the woman used deodorant.

And we once had an older person, who would pass wind perpetually as he walked along; I am sure he wasn't aware that he did so, or just didn't care.

In that situation, everyone just put up with it - because what would that conversation have been? (Totally embarrassing?)
Post a reply