Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The resume is not dead, it's evolving

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Jul 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Despite the growth of social networking platforms and people’s increasing online presence, the resume is not dead. It is merely changing, according to leading recruiters.
  • Max Underhill | 07 Jul 2011, 05:34 PM Agree 0
    The resume or CV and application are not dead but it’s stagnant largely due the poor role descriptions that the potential applicant has to respond to. At a HR think tank the recruitment “disengagement” was quoted at 45% with figures of up to over 60%. The complaint was that the organisations do not provide accurate and quality role descriptions. The e-Recruit is often seen as the foundation of the recruitment and applicants can get guidance on how to write a CV for e-recruitment short listing (these can be ex developers of these systems). The e-Recruit is only as good as the role description which is the front end role design tools. The e-recruit sits in the middle and feed into a backend which is a competency based selection process i.e. demonstration not hot air and “right words”. This front end and back end can be the same system such as the “HRmonise” HCM system. The resumes or CV’s can now be very much alive and focussed on the well defined role providing a meaningful tool in the final short listing or selection. Eventually simulation will take over (requiring even better role definition) and the process becomes an online assessment - now the CV can die.
  • Rick Mason Goal Quest | 08 Jul 2011, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    Many employers are not at the stage where they will use technology as a primary source of information. Even those that do will require evidence of experience that pertains to the role for which the applicant has applied. Achievements pertient to the role are easily accessed through a clear and professionally compiled resume that is provided at the time of application whether this be available on line or in hard copy. If anything I envisage Australia moving towards a USA and European 2 page style format.
  • Sean Reddell, Blaze Unlimited | 11 Jul 2011, 03:28 PM Agree 0
    I agree the resume is not dead. The format may change, the medium may also change but the purpose remains the same. A short summary of relevant skills, knowledge and attributes as they pertain to the target role. I also wholeheartedly support Max's argument (above) about the generic nature of Role Descriptions. I implore the clients I work with to make additional information available to candidates and for job seekers to look further than the role description as to what the job actually does.

Poorly written job descriptions without a focus on results are the initial rot that causes so many problems for selection, performance, management and ultimately, engagement at work.
  • Joanna | 13 Jul 2011, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    Whether the resume is dead or not, the fact is that it has gone online, and due to the Internets ability to distribute one resume by the thousands, it is hard for a qualified job seeker to get through the noise. This means that job seekers need a tool to engage employers. A good one to check out is a 1-Page Job Proposal:
Post a reply