Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The recruiter’s guide to the internet: Job-board breakdown

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 21 Feb 2014, 12:17 PM Agree 0
Once dominated by three players, the world of job boards in Australia is beginning to change. Where should you be putting your recruiting resources?
  • Leah Gibbs | 21 Feb 2014, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    I would like to add Lifestyle Careers to this article.

Est in 2009, Lifestyle Careers is an online recruitment jobs board with a focus on lifestyle jobs and the flexible workforce.

As a recruiter you can access over 20K+ job seekers who are looking to work flexibly and in less traditional ways. I welcome you to connect with me for a complimentary trial. We are integrated with JobAdder, AdLogic and SmartRecruiters.

To date, we have received an excellent response from job seekers, employers and recruitment agencies across a range of industry sectors that can all see the enormous benefits of having a jobs board providing the link to the flexible workforce of the future.

Cheers Leah (Business Owner)
  • Kevin Howard | 24 Feb 2014, 04:06 PM Agree 0
    I’ve always believed that when you are recruiting you should strive to attract the very best person possible at that time, because hiring great people can make a huge difference to your organisation. If you have a less stringent approach to recruitment then you don’t need to read on.

The article above is correct, the recruitment advertising market is splintered – I use the term ‘fragmented’. There are now countless recruitment advertising products in the Australian market and employers have more choice than ever when advertising their jobs.

However, it’s important to note that this can be a double edged sword, because there are also many ways job seekers can look for jobs - some employers seem oblivious to this.

My company operates a number of niche job boards and we continually market our products to people whom we see advertising positions elsewhere, particularly on a large job board beginning with ‘S’.

We don’t suggest our job board is better than S, we simply let the advertiser know that our product will complement their existing job advert by enabling them to reach a different audience – a different segment of the market.

Nevertheless, the response is often “we’ll just see how we go with our advert on S and come back to you if we need to”.

That’s a bit like saying “we know there are a 1000 people who might be interested in our job ad, but we only want 300 of them to see it”

Now that would fine if you were conducting a poll or a survey, but when it comes to recruitment, every person is different and it’s quite likely that the best person available is among the people who don’t see your ad!

To illustrate how hard it can be to reach a large proportion of the potential market for a position, we conducted a survey to look at the behaviour of HR job seekers in particular. We looked at things like how much time different people spend looking at job ads depending on their circumstances, how likely they are to respond depending on different elements of the job ad and how they prefer to respond or apply.

Although we only surveyed HR job seekers we believe the findings would be similar for most professional disciplines, because we’re largely dealing with human nature.

You can find an executive summary of our findings at

It’s about a 10 minute read and is likely to be of interest to anyone involved in recruitment who wants to attract the best possible people at any given time.

For those who don’t read it , here are a few salient facts to remember:

- People look for jobs in different ways.
    - No single job board or aggregator will ever reach the whole market,
    - and even a great job board can’t make up for a poor job ad.

Post a reply