Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The 'psychological effects' of stripping employee perks

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Nov 2015, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Your CFO might see office snacks as a sign of unnecessary corporate largesse, but cutting the food budget could carry costs beyond what the finance team anticipated.
  • Charlie | 10 Nov 2015, 12:30 PM Agree 0
    Let me get this right... they provide high calorie snack foods (muesli bars and chips among other things) with the intention of keeping staff at their desks longer, and thereby making them even more sedentary. And this is good for their employee's health, and therefore their reliability and productivity, how exactly? Free food for thought.

But I agree, the first attack in saving money always seems to be putting the screws to staff and benefits - like making people feel miserable and undervalued will somehow increase their contributions and productivity... An example is a company who saved $10,000 by cutting a staff function only to have management spend close to $50,000 on something else - and the damage to morale, culture and engagement was huge and ignored.
  • Bob | 10 Nov 2015, 02:59 PM Agree 0
    Ditto that. I worked for an employee where the HR team decided to save money by announcing that all new starters who were still in their 6 months probation period, were not entitled to attend the staff xmas party. How not to make new staff feel welcome! It would probably only have saved a few bucks but the damage caused was huge. Following a staff outcry, HR rescinded the announcement but the damage was done and also resulted in the mass resignation of the Social Committee after the party.
Post a reply