Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The job interview answer that rules them all…

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Apr 2014, 11:34 AM Agree 0
Keen to hire a new employee who really thinks outside the box? Try asking them this question.
  • Vera P | 07 Apr 2014, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    Very smart - but the original question was not addressed. "Which ONE would you choose to offer a ride to" - the original question did not give the freedom to think outside the box.
  • Lauren | 07 Apr 2014, 01:38 PM Agree 0
    And this is why they wouldn't hire you Vera. It is an excellent answer, and if you would begrudge that sort of finiteness you wouldn't be the right fit for the organisation anyway
  • Vera P | 07 Apr 2014, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    Touche Lauren. I didn't question that the answer was excellent. However, I have actually been in the real life position where I answered something of a similar nature, and was "failed" because I didn't adhere to the original question. So, obvioulsy, I can't win in either situation!
  • Tim D | 07 Apr 2014, 04:31 PM Agree 0
    I, and most people I know would have walked out of the room as soon a they started asking me that question.
  • Mel | 08 Apr 2014, 09:06 AM Agree 0
    lol @ Tim. Agree. Ridiculous question that tells you nothing except that the candidate can creatively answer interview questions. That is all. Or maybe I have internalised the previous article on being more argumentative...
  • Vera P | 08 Apr 2014, 09:27 AM Agree 0
    I wonder if it is true, anyway. The article states "or so the story goes". Such a question seems to be irrelevant to most occupations.
  • Deb | 08 Apr 2014, 12:55 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Vera that it's a 'can't win' scenario. It really is down to the interpretation / pendantry of the interviewer - the answer that wins the job in one interview will be laughed out of the room in another. And explaining that your version is correct won't get you the job either
  • Samantha | 08 Apr 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    Agree with Tim and Mel, sneaky answer anyway. :)
  • jonathan pepin | 08 Apr 2014, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Girl passenger seat grams in the back and if I got to the friend can ride in the truck ;).. hey everyone wins^
  • Jon Adams | 10 Apr 2014, 02:18 AM Agree 0
    Basically, the one, single question that you need to answer during a job interview, is "why should we hire you?"... Give a good answer to that, and it will be like an offer they can't refuse. Found a couple of good answers for it, here:
  • Gerry | 10 Apr 2014, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    The scenario is based on an old joke...
  • David | 11 Apr 2014, 12:25 AM Agree 0
    This is a typical question where there is no right or wrong answear. It doesn't matter what you answear. As the article says, it's designed to make you thing outside the problem.
Post a reply