Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The hiring policy that has everyone talking

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 12 Feb 2014, 10:57 AM Agree 0
A US company has taken an unusual step to weed out undesirable hires – so what is it and could it work for companies here?
  • Noel Donkin | 12 Feb 2014, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    I wouldnt implement this as a Policy, however, when hiring, glass half empty, me-first, bad attitude, over-bearing or opinionated candidates are culled very quickly. You can always help someone gain the skills needed, but only they can change their attitude. Attitude is always top priority. If unsure, I may provoke an interviewee, just to see how they respond. Team dynamic can be destroyed quickly by a toxic individual.
  • Carolyn Herraman | 12 Feb 2014, 02:40 PM Agree 0
    Completely agree Noel!
    Our 'Above The Line' policy promotes a proactive 'I Will' and 'We Will' attitude, of which is also incorporated into our recruitment and selection process!
    Therefore feel we too have a 'no jerk' policy, just different approach.
    This also ensures a clear message of behavioural expectations and cultural fit at the onset.
  • Deborah | 12 Feb 2014, 02:42 PM Agree 0
    *laughing* I think this is gold, and a very smart piece of company branding. In this one step they've clearly identified their culture and values not only to potential employees, but also to their customers.

For the right company, in the right industry I think this style would work very well - as long as they walk the talk.
  • Dr. Murray Anderson, DBA | 12 Feb 2014, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    Been looking out for jerks from Day 1 from their phone etiquette, treatment of reception staff, etc Had my shortest interview with one last year: 5 minutes and showed him the door. Hire for 'fit', train for technical - it works - and makes for a very happy workplace.
  • Sonia King | 18 Feb 2014, 04:18 PM Agree 0
    I Love it and totally agree with Deborah in one hit they have defined their company culture and company brand image. Well done Henry Albrecht and the savvy employee that got you thinking that way with his comment: "he can do the job, but do we want him representing our company?"
Post a reply