Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The end of the traditional resume

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Jun 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The usage of social media in recruitment is something that most HR managers have figured out by now, but what they might not have considered is a few of the finer ways social media and mobile phones can change recruitment’s game-plan.
  • Jason Mitchell | 13 Jun 2013, 03:28 PM Agree 0
    Lordy - yet another fairytale about the 'end of days' for traditional resumes. These crop up on HR/recruiting blogs almost daily but, like many clarion calls for change peddled by so-called industry thought leaders, this one is mired in self-delusion.

ICT roles have long been filled without resumes (particularly contracting roles) and many recruiters don't bother to even interview. In technical appointments (developers anyone?) the proof really is in the technical pudding.

However, with more senior, strategic, business critical or rare (not skills-short) appointments, resumes of one form or another will always be needed to engage, inform and compel (hiring) action.

I cannot realistically envisage senior executives 'liking' facebook job shouts, submitting their resume via their phone app or tweeting the vacancy advertised by thir recruitment team - now or ever.

When resourcing meets new technologies, these goo-roos are catering to the masses only. Don't be duped into thinking their crystal-ball-gazing has any credence or universality.
  • Alconcalcia | 13 Jun 2013, 09:39 PM Agree 0
    I love the comment above :-) PS an anagram of social media guru is 'A ludicrous image'. Go figure!
  • Ms Persuasive | 16 Jun 2013, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    I suggested to my protegee that she add a link to a YouTube clip on her cover letter. In the clip she can eyeball the camera and explain why she has applied for the position and why she is the best person for the job.
Post a reply