Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The cardinal sins of bad HR leaders

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Apr 2014, 11:09 AM Agree 0
Could you be committing these HR faux pas? HC reviews the five sins of ‘bad HR leadership’ that could be costing you big time in the credibility stakes.
  • Marc Wachtfogel | 22 Apr 2014, 09:39 PM Agree 0
    I would say that HR has become a catch all department for fixing all the ails within an organization. Interestingly, companies post HR jobs with a laundry list of skills that individuals with 3-5 years experience could not possibly have. It takes time for these skills to develop, a depth of experience on how to integrate different functions & avoid pitfalls and the art & savvy to use these skills effectively.

I would add being an effective and knowledgable business partner...having the right skills to navigate the value chain & design solutions to align people, process & strategy for successful implementations.
  • Ofisa | 23 Apr 2014, 06:04 AM Agree 0
    I totally agree with my senior practitioners
  • Mike Ellis | 28 Apr 2014, 08:52 AM Agree 0
    Having been an HRM for 20 odd years I agree with Tim on most counts. One aspect missing is the essential need to resolve the 'core business vision" of the HR team you lead. Too often there is this mixture of HR team members who think corporate service provider ( to the extent of hand holding) whilst others see "business partner" and enabling the Manager to do their own HR. Get this right in your team or the ultimate customer ( the client manager) will cause havoc with your leadership.
  • John Petrov | 23 Nov 2015, 03:27 PM Agree 0
    The treating everyone equal part is the one area a lot of HR folks don't always get. By all means every employee must be treated equally under the law and as fellow human beings. However an example where this concept changes is with regard to performance. Top performers may not be treated the same as other performers within the organization. For example, if you have performance based pay your highest performers should have the ability to earn more money. This is especially true for sales folks. I wish the article provided more clarity in this regard.
Post a reply