Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Ten vital steps to deal with harassment claims

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Nov 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Workplace harassment is a topical issue right now, yet many organisations hesitate when required to take action. Harriet Stacey provides 10 essential tips
  • Bernie Althofer | 19 Nov 2010, 03:22 PM Agree 0
    Good points raised for employers to consider. Many of the victims/targets, alleged bullies and even managers/supervisors I have spoken to over the years, have appeared to be ''vague'' or ''unclear'' about the finer details. Some incidents may have occurred some time in the past and recollections are not precise. In the case of victims, they may be still so traumatised by the incident that they are not able to accurately recall every detail, particularly times, dates, location, witnesses etc. As for investigations, it is important to have a protocol in place. Give a hard copy to those being interviewed so they know how the investigation will conducted, who gets a copy of the statement, boundaries of confidentiality and who they can go to for advice. As for point 7, I agree. There seems to be a belief in some areas that an isolated or ''one off'' incident is not bullying. Look for patterns of behaviour across work units, across poeple. Point 9 - independent investigators should be used. Too many opportunities for additional allegations to be raised when internal investigators are used. Start the investigation as soon as there is some sign or report of inappropriate workplace behaviour that could result in an allegation being made.
Post a reply